Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Follow Your Interest Or Go For Money??

Have you ever been in a situation when you need to choose 1 out of 2 or more different job offers at the same time?

For my case, I have 2 options to choose from... One that pays high basic with good benefits and 5 days work week (Monday to Friday), while the other is with a low basic salary with not-so-high commission scheme, normal benefits and working retail hours (rotational shifts and must work on weekends).

My concern here is that I am not really interested in the high salaried position although its remuneration package is really good! As in, it's just a normal administrative deskbound job... very routined. However, the lower salaried position needs me to sell packages in a retail spa/manicure environment - something that I like and has more interest in.

I know many people will definitely choose the one that pays higher! It's obvious!! But the question is will there be happiness although you may be earning alot but not enjoying what you are doing everyday?? I guessed this has something to do with the mentality of Singaporeans. Due to the high standards of living, nothing else beats the money factor!!! People rather choose to earn more money than to lead a happier life.

I wonder how many people will choose to earn lesser but work in a job that they have the interest in doing... For me, I am stuck in a dilemma once again... Bcoz I would very much want to choose the lower salaried job so that I could do and learn about the things I like - manicure... but with opinions from family and friends, many will definitely think that this is not a wise decision as they do not see a future in the career prospect of the job... And with such influences, I am often easily influenced to go with everyone else's choice instead of my own choice.

This has always been the case eversince secondary school days, I choose the accounting class during sec. 3 bcoz my parents think that choosing between the art and accounts major, accounting has got better prospect. But what now, I am not even interested in accounting jobs! I rather work in fashion or advertising industry! Thus, I should have studied arts instead last time!!

Then graduating to polytechnic, everyone gave me the impression that majoring in business management is the best choice... coz only people who passed their english with a C6 and above during 'O' levels are allowed to take up the business course in poly! Other than that, schools like NAFA and Laselle were then considered places for lousy students! And nobody ever told me about other courses like mass comm, etc. So what now?? I personally think that not just art or mass comm students are cool, so are their jobs!! Now without the knowledge, I really have difficulties to get myself into a marketing communications job.

With a business diploma, specializing in retail and travel, again I had difficulties getting a job I like. Had little choices as a fresh diploma grad, so started my career path in customer service... It was an unintentional and really bad start!! Bcoz it seems like once you get into customer service, you are stuck in there forever... When I applied for office jobs, majority of the employers labelled me with the 'LACK OF RELEVANT EXPERIENCE' sticker. And this was why I chose HR as my major in my business degree course instead of marketing (coz in poly, my retail modules were similar to the marketing modules, so I thought majoring in marketing will also lead me back into customer service, thus choosing HR as a result)... Well, it was a bad move again!! Coz HR isn't what I like at all - it's so dry and boring, however I initially just thought that it could be a stepping stone for me to get out of the customer service field. Then again, I was wrong...

So here I am, don't know which direction to go now... Coz listening to others often lead me to do the things I don't like doing... But I also do not have the relevant exposure or knowledge to work in the job I want... Since now I am given the opportunity to do something I like, should I push it away or just go ahead with it despite the low salary, working on weekends and has little career prospect??

On the other hand, I also have my concerns about not hitting sales targets and not earning enough commission to cover the low basic pay! Furthermore... Like I say, with the high stardards of living in Singapore and being a spendthrift shopaholic, salary is also an important factor to me!! Hehee!!

So how??? Arrrrrggh!!! =S

No comments: