Thursday, April 19, 2007

Super Low Morale...

Went for an interview at Orchard Parade Hotel yesterday... it was the worst interview I ever went to this year, which spoilt my whole day's mood after that! And I am still affected by it now!! Probably I should be ashamed to blog about it here... coz I admit that I was first in the wrong for being late for the interview due to procrastination. But then again I have my rights to air my displeasure and discomfort about the whole interviewing process here, especially towards the sucky interviewer!!

It is a guy as usual!!! And I don't know why this always happens to me when I meet male interviewers in their 30s or 40s with super BIG egos, thinking that they are the boss so they are the smartest alex on earth, having the authority to look down on others and never giving chance when it comes to questioning the job candidate!!

In the first place, I should not even have gone for the interview coz it was for an admin executive post which I don't know why I applied anyway. I guessed maybe I am just too desperate to get out of the customer service line and since I cannot find a job in my desired industry and field... I ended up applying for such boring positions in state of stress!! Anyway, I went just bcoz I do not want my parents to think that I do not have any interviews to attend and it was also to prevent further naggings... Moreover, I thought there was no harm going for the interview to find out more about the job. BUT I really regret going and was thoroughly wrong for thinking that there will be no harm going for the interview after attending yesterday's interview... In fact, I was emotionally hurt strongly by the interviewer with his sarcastic interviewing tactics due to prejudice!

Well, I know that I was in the wrong first for being late but I apologized. When I entered the interviewer's room, we greeted each other and shook hands as per normal procedures... He then told me to close the door in an authoritative voice. But I smiled and said "Sure!"... After that, both of us sat down and he started asking why I was late, so I told him that I was unable to find the office although I saw his face showing that he wasn't convinced at all. Well, I was lying so be it... The interview proceeded...

The interviewer started asking me strings of questions that shot me down till I felt like leaving the room, but I couldn't due to insufficient courage to do so... And so I suffered in that cold room with that inhumane MCP (male chauvinist PIG) questioning and talking to me in a cocky way for a whole 30mins!! Initially, I tried my best to answer to his every question, putting in the effort to think then reply, no matter how difficult his questions were, be it redundant or not! But I got provoked when he started make crude remarks about me... that he thinks I was dressed too casually and was acting over-friendly!!!

Before I go on further, he actually disclosed that he has another open position available doing sales during the interview and asked if I am interested. So I said that I am open to both positions... It was then he started commenting about me not being professional enough and was acting over-friendly!!!

For goodness sick... I was wearing a suit and he said that I was too casual?!!! I am friendly bcoz I was from the customer service industry.... furthermore we were trained to be friendly, so now I am friendly naturally to anyone bcoz of my good interpersonal skills OKAY??!!!! Since he hiam me to be over-friendly, I shall not be friendly to him here!! ---> "FUCK YOU, ASSHOLE~!!!!!!" I am DEFINITELY NOT acting or trying too hard to be friendly... bcoz I will never try to act friendly in order to get a job... For me to be acting friendly, that will only happen if I am working in a customer service job bcoz that is my job... I am not the phantom of the opera coz I do not wear a mask!!! Moreover, why should I be acting over-friendly to the interviewer for a job I was having intentions to forgo in the first place???! SIAO!!!

Anyway, he went on to say that I was too casual and not professional due to my nose stud and long nails... He even told me to take a good look at his staffs sitting outside his room, he made another rude statement saying "All my staffs here are very professional. You do not see anyone who is unprofessional here... or anyone wearing nose stud. And our sales persons here cannot be over-friendly... We do not anyhow hire AH LIANS here... I am not saying that you are ah lian, I am just stating an example..."

THIS IS AN OUTRAGEOUS INSULT!!! No doubt I may wear a nose stud (which I forgot to remove before the interview) and keep long nails, that does not mean that I have to be an ah lian!! Furthermore, I am not even working for him yet... so who is he to make such comments?? Anyway, the position I applied for was an admin position, not the sales position... So why must I be so professional when the job details for the admin post did not state that I need to meet clients??? And by the way, where is his professionalism then?? Is he being professional enough to be an interviewer when he shows prejudice by stereotyping the job candidate????!!!!! DEFINITELY NOT!!!

I also do not see why a salesperson cannot be friendly?? He said that it is important for sales people to build relationship within their network... But if they cannot be friendly, how are they able to build rapport and strengthen their relationship with their clients??? He made no sense completely!!!!!! RUBBISH!!! Furthermore, I think he is just telling a lie about his salesperson... bcoz immediately after I stepped out of his room while making my way to the lift, a lady approached me and said "Oh hi, we have not met. Are you new here??" Ahahahaa... That lady gave him away... This proves that people working there are not like how he described!

Later he went on to asked if I am willing to remove my nose stud and cut my nails short if he were to consider me for the sales position... By then I was expressionless and have given up on the interview... I gave him a firm "No." He was stunned! "Haaa!!!!" he laughed to himself and said that this is the first time he came across someone who is not willing to give up wearing the nose stud for a job... Then he asked me why is this so... And I told him, "I have not encountered such issues during my job interviews so far! To give up wearing my nose stud will cause the hole to close. And since it has been there for so long, so there's a need to consider about it if the hole were to close up! I have never thought that it could be something that will affect my job interview!" That interviewer then said "Maybe that's why you have not found a job for so long!"

I will not forget my previous experience of trimming away my acrylic extensions bcoz the interviewer said so... and that I was hoping to get the job in that apparel company, but in the end I wasn't even contacted for the second interview... I am not so stupid to satisfy the interviewer's request this time now, coz they are not even hiring me yet!! Oh well, so what if I am an ah lian? I am all happy and comfortable here being an ah lian than to act professional and to dress myself in business suits that are so hot, stiff and uncomfortable!! And seeing him as the future boss for the positions, he's damn sarcastic I must say!!!! I really don't see a point working for someone like that!!

In fact, the interview ended off with that asshole asking if I have any questions... so I abruptly asked about the career path of the sales position... He explained everything from company's prospect to grooming of the right candidate to the remunerations, which sounded quite attractive... ends it off saying "Since you do not have any question for me, I have a meeting to attend... So let's end it here!"... not giving me a chance to ask further...

Excuse me, how can he just end off the interview like that??? I have not even finished asking my questions... Obviously, he is brushing me off and I can tell it from his fucked up attitude!!

There's another issue which I have been facing recently but I do not know how to put it across, especially to my friends... So I shall express it here... seeking your sincere understanding...

For information to my friends or relatives, I would very much appreciate if you could stop asking me about what I have been doing recently can!!! It gets me really irritated and frustrated when such questions are being asked bcoz to me, it seems that you guys may think that I am enjoying life doing nothing at home! Please do not add to my stress as I am already getting enough pressure from my family members for not being able to get a job! Although I understand that most of you asked the question out of concern, I hope you can understand the situation that I am in too... Thanks alot!

By the way, I am not as relax and stressless as what others may think when they come to know that I am not working currently!! Stop asking me what have I been doing recently when you should apparently know that I am currently looking for a job... It's perfectly fine to ask if you are really concern... but please don't continue by saying that I am enjoying life!!! Coz I hate it when some people perceived it as I am enjoying life!! And I have been hearing that too many times!!! As a jobless person, staying at home applying for jobs and doing the things I like sometimes during my free time after applying for jobs is very normal!! You don't expect a person to be applying for jobs from the minute they wake up till the minute they go to bed at night, don't you?? So doing my own things does not mean that I am enjoying life!! And if you are jealous or envious of me for having such a "good" life, let me tell you... You can always quit your job and "enjoy your life" at home like me!!! So STOP SAYING THAT YOU ARE ENVIOUS OF ME OKAY!!!

Sorry for being so direct in putting my message across. Hope you guys can put yourselves in my shoes... You will understand what I mean... =)

No comments: