Saturday, March 04, 2006

Is it a Career Fair or Education Fair?

Hmm... Went to the Career Fair 2006 held at Suntec yesterday and saw cliques of students in uniforms everywhere in the convention centre. With a glance across the exhibition hall, we could tell that almost every booth are occupied by the representatives from different institutions and universities. Saw a few recruitment firms like Achieve Career, Adecco and JobStreet... and that's about it! Didn't see much employers around, not to even mention any potential ones!! It seems more like a wasted trip for most of us, except for Dear who managed to ask about his teaching career at the MOE booth. I think it should be called Education Fair 2006 instead!

After strolling one round in the exhibition hall, we met a few of our SIM classmates near the hall entrance. We all then stood by and chat about our job search process... was quite surprised to know that Peter actually went to apply to be a flight steward in SIA!! Furthermore, he has already gone through 4 rounds of interview and is now waiting for the reply from SIA. I think he should be more or less considered as successful in his application already since he has passed so many rounds of interview. Good luck to him!

As for Meiye, good that she has also just found herself a job as a recruitment consultant in Recruit Express! She said that confidentiality is very important in this job... so I think I better not review too much details. Hehee! Anyway, those who are jobless can seek her help during your job search now!! If by this coming week, I still have not found a job... I think I will be the first candidate to sign up with her! Hahaa!! All the best to her too!

Well, few days ago I also just knew that Eileen has found a job as a personal banker in UOB... Should have good career prospect too! Hope she doesn't work so hard until have no time left to go sunset with us! All the best to her future endeavours!

Back to me... a useless bum who still cannot find a proper permanent job... Frankly speaking, I am feeling very very demoralized after not being able to find a perm job that meets my expectation since January until now. And it is not to say my salary expectation is too high loh... the amount is exactly the same as what my friends are asking for too, which is the standard market rate! Furthermore, knowing that most of my friends have found themselves jobs with high pay and good prospect, I am starting to feel even more stress!! Why is it that they are all so lucky but I'm not? Is it due to my age problem (coz I am older, yet I have the same qualification as them and have no relevant experience so employers think I'm lousy)? Is it bcoz the probability of hiring fresh grads is really low in the HR field? Is there something wrong with my resume? Or is it just me?... Maybe I am just too lousy during my interviews. But in the 1st place, I don't even get many calls to go for interview!


Regarding the contract HR admin assistant post in MediaCorp, the recruitment consultant has actually called me yesterday evening to inform that I have been successfully selected by MediaCorp, but the bad news is that they are not able to revise the salary rate (or more like the consultant does not want to revise the rate). Then again, yesterday morning my friend's friend, who is also a recruitment consultant, has helped me to send my resume to an air-con company in Ang Mo Kio (she can't review the company name) for the permanent position of a HR Executive. The thing is that the company has not made any interview arrangement for me. Hence I'm stuck with my decision, dunno whether to accept the contract job or to give it up to try my luck for the perm job.

I have actually told the first recruitment consultant about this issue, so she said she can only help me by delaying the reply to MediaCorp till next Monday by saying that I need some time to consider before accepting the job (so that it does not give them the idea that I am trying to go to another company). After that I also called up the second consultant to tell her that I only have time till next Monday to give my reply to MediaCorp... thus, she said she will try her best to make arrangements for an interview for me on Monday with the air-con company.

Although both consultants are quite understanding towards my situation, I think the time allowance given by the first consultant also couldn't help me much... as I believe that even if an interview could be arranged with the air-con company on Monday, still the company will need some time to consider my application after the interview... so I will still not be able to know if they wanna hire me on Monday itself. And if this is so, I will not know whether I get the perm job, so I will end up taking up the MediaCorp contract job since the dateline for my reply is also on Monday...

In other words, I should have just went ahead to accept the contract job in the first place, saving all the troubles for both consultants right?? But I am just so so soooooo determined to try my luck on the perm job!... Do you know why? Bcoz I am called PERSISTENT remember? Ahahaaa...

No comments: