Thursday, March 02, 2006

Decisions Decisions...

Arrghh!!! I was first woken up by the sound of some hammerings and drillings from the new neighbour's flat below me, then by 3 consecutive calls from the same recruitment consultant (the one who recommended me to MediaCorp). I think I have slept lesser than 5 hours this morning... coz I actually went to bed at 5 am.

According to the notice left by our new neighbour on last Saturday, it states that the hacking renovation works will be carried out with effect from 27th February to 1st March (which was yesterday). But why are they still making so much noises today??! Angry leh!!! A princess without enough sleep is an angry princess!!! AHAHAHAA!! No lah, I anyhow say one... This only applies to me. Kekeke!! =P

Ok, the 3 missed calls received from the recruitment consultant sort of hinted me that I might be selected for the contract job in MediaCorp. It's decision time again... And sigh... you know what I am going to say right? Yah... I'm still confused and in a dilemma... That was why I did not wanna answer the calls.

So I continued nuaing on my bed while thinking about the pros and cons again. Very fast, my handphone rang again... I could guessed who called! Yeah... It's her. I decided not to hide from her but to tell her about my concern. Just as expected, she called to tell me that MediaCorp has gotten back to her regarding the result of my interview. She said that the email she received looks quite promising that I will get the job. However, they are still checking on things such as the day for commencement of work and making preparations for the contract position. Then she told me that MediaCorp has told her that I would need to be fully committed to the job for the whole contract period so I can't leave during that time... But if worse comes to worst, meaning if I cannot take the job stress and so on, I could still serve a 1 month's notice to them. And if they want to terminate me due to bad attitude or performance, they will just give me a 1 week's notice to leave. But she emphasized that I cannot leave the job even if a better job opportunity comes along... bcoz upon accepting the job, I am supposed to commit and not have the thinking of looking for other jobs already.

From there, I actually told her my concern on the salary... I explained to her that the amount is not convincing enough for me to commit to this job as the estimated gross salary is far too less as compared to my expected. Furthermore, there is no CPF contributions. Then again, she start to talk about the rare opportunity that such an established organization is willing to hire someone in the HR field without experience... So I should not think about the salary but to take it as a good chance to gain the relevant experience. Furthermore, she said that since I find the people (as in interviewers) friendly there, that will add to my benefits, as she has heard of companies that have got alot of political issues... so I should think in this way - It is better to work in a big company where you can learn from friendly colleagues but get paid at a lower rate than to get paid with a high salary but to endure the stress in a highly political environment.

True true... But I am also thinking how would I know if they only appeared to be friendly during the interview, but when it comes to the real job, they might become someone hypocritical?

Well, but I still went on to agree with her. And still, I continued to tell her that I really couldn't bring myself to commit due to the salary... as comparing it to a permanent job. Thus, she was quite accomodating to me (though I could tell that she sounded abit impatient and tired of trying to convince me further). So she asked if I am ok if she helps to negotiate for a monthly salary of $1500 with CPF (to take it like a perm job salary). Then again, I paused for awhile, thinking that the amount is still quite low (bcoz a diploma grad could also get that amount) but not knowing how to tell her. I guessed she sort of figured it, so she directly asked how much would I expect so that I am willing to commit... and I told her probably $1600 and above. She said she will see what she can do and try to help me negotiate for a better rate (but definitely not the amount of $1800), then she will get back to me again.

Actually, I felt abit bad to make things difficult for her but still I also wanna get a higher pay... Although after the call, I thought of calling her back to tell her that I can considerably accept $1500 with CPF but later I think better not. Since she will help me make further negotiations, I might as well wait! If after negotiation, it's still the same then decide.

After the call I came online and had a short chat with Mark Leong on MSN, I sort of told him about my dilemma and that I am waiting for the consultant to negotiate for the rate of $1600... then he suddenly said that he thinks many poly grads might jump at that offer. Sigh... Now I am thinking will they give the job to someone else?? Hahaa! I'm having contradictions again... =P

No comments: