Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Good Opportunity To Gain That Experience

Received an email from M1 earlier yesterday. Unfortunately, on the email it states that my application for the Administrative Officer position is unsuccessful after their careful consideration. Sianz... There goes another wasted application...

It's been almost a month since I went for my last interview. Eversince then, I have not been receiving calls for interview except for that one call from Ananda (which I din go bcoz I overslept =P).

However, I received a call from one of the recruitment agencies in the morning for my application of a contract admin assistant post which I applied through JobsDB on Monday. Although the company name isn't mentioned on the job ad, I have already guessed that the company is MediaCorp... this is bcoz the ad states that the client is in the media and entertainment industry location at thomson. Anyway, the recruitment consultant was fast in responding to my application this time. She must have read that I have past w0rking experiences in both MediaCorp Publishing and MediaCorp TV12 and so thinks that I would fit the bill. We spoke on the phone for quite long as she took her time to explain the details of this position to me and even proposed a contingency plan (a 2nd position) to me if say I am not successful for this admin assistant post.

Before she mentioned about the 2nd position, she explained to me about the job scope of the 1st admin position and so from there I understand that it is actually a contract HR admin assistant position for 3-6 months that does not require someone with experience. Upon hearing that it is a HR related job, I was delighted and was thinking that I could at least gain some HR experience from there since given an opportunity, though it is just a temp job. The consultant also agreed. Everything she said seems very soothing to me except for the salary. The unattractive part here is that this job is paid based on an hourly rate without CPF contributions.

She is quite nice and understanding... After explaining about the HR admin assistant job, she actually offered to let me try another position as a recruitment admin assistant in her agency. The job scope is something like a recruitment consultant but not given any targets to meet... bcoz she asked whether I am interested to be a consultant since I am interested in HR and so I told her that I do not mind the job except for its sales targets. Hence, she then suggested the 2nd position which could help me to gain some experience in recruitment and thus could benefit me in my HR career path. Consequently, she said she will talk to me about it again as she would still like to give priority to the first mentioned admin post which I have applied for.

Upon agreeing to try the contract HR admin post, the consultant got back to me really soon in the afternoon. She said the employer has successfully shortlisted me for an interview tomorrow afternoon and also announced to me the company is MediaCorp (just as I guessed!). Hahaa! She even asked me if I have guessed it earlier... Kekeke... So I said "Yes, it was quite easy to guess as there's not many media and entertainment company in Singapore... Furthermore, the location stated is at Thomson area." And she laughed.

After that, she said she will send me a sms on the location of her recruitment agency and also an email on the details of the interview at MediaCorp with an application form attached. And so, I received her sms and email about 15 mins after the phone call.

As the call ended, I feel happy and excited about tomorrow's interview yet there are alot of questions popping in my mind... I was in a state of confusion and contradictions in regards whether to accept a temp position just to gain the relevant experience but paid with a lower salary or to wait for a permanent one to come along that pays more???

Hurmmm... Probably it is still too early to think about these questions in mind since I have not even gone for the job interview. I supposed I should at least give myself an opportunity to attend the interview first before making assumptions, so as to understand and assess the job better. Only after that, then I would need to make my decision. Ok, good luck to myself for tomorrow's interview!! Hehee!!

No comments: