Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Phone Call That Pissed Me Off!!!

Ok, Valentine's Day didn't really start off well for me today... The first thing that I know when I woke up was my father standing in front of me, telling me that he is not working today bcoz he was having a headache earlier this morning. So the first thing that came to my mind was "DAMN... does that mean that my plan for Valentine's Day to cook lunch at home with Dear is ruined? Does it mean there will be a 3rd pair of eyes looking at us doing whatever things at home? How unromantic huh?!! Duhh..." Ok nevermind that, so I immediately sent a message to Dear to inform him about it. He then called me back on my handphone within the next few minutes.

While I was on the phone with him, I received another call on the other line... I guess it must be some recruitment consultant calling me... but I decided to give it a miss since I was talking to my Dear and still deciding what we should do later. However, this same caller so then called me on my house phone since I missed his call on my handphone. Ok, I know it's the same person calling bcoz I've got Caller ID on both phones... So I had no choice but to pick up the house phone since it was ringing like nobody's business. And I told Dear that I will call him back.

Well well... Let's see what type of job this recruitment consultant has to offer me.... Usually, normally, 100% confirm, plus guarantee stamp, is not what I have applied for. I'm so sure bcoz I received these kind of calls from them too many times... Everytime I applied for HR positions from the recruitment firms that advertised in JobsDB, those who responded to my application would call me back to offer me either customer service or admin jobs. And they will explain to me that the HR job which I have applied for requires someone with relevant experiences.

Expectedly, this same scenario happened this time again. But I suddenly have the courage to talk back to the consultant. I think this recruitment consultant is also very suay to call me at the time when I was feeling quite argitated by the thought of my father "ruining" my Valentine's Day plan. Kekeke!! He actually offered me an admin assistant position and explained to me that the HR post which I have applied for requires someone with at least 1 year experience. Then he continued to tell me that nowadays companies are not willing to train so even fresh graduates specializing in HRM could not get a HR job. And he strongly recommended me to take up the admin assistant job since I have admin experiences.

So I asked him "So do you mean that nowadays even though I have a degree specializing in HR, it also cannot help me in getting into the HR field?"

He then replied "Yes, not all the time but most cases are like this... bcoz nowadays companies are very busy and they do not have the time to train people with no experience. So it doesn't mean that you have a degree specializing in HR then you will get a job in HR. Since you have admin experience, that's why I would offer you to take up this admin assistant job. Furthermore this job requires you to provide administrative assistance in all the aspect which including partly HR. So you can gain your HR experience from there."

In my mind I was thinking "Aren't you indirectly implying that my speciialization in HR during my degree course is actually useless in the job market now?? In this case, what's the point for degree students without HR working experience to choose HRM as their specialization since they can't even get into a HR job after graduating?? Shouldn't SIM set a requirement for student saying that only those with HR working experience are allowed to major in HR? At least if this is the case, I could have chose to marketing as my specialization instead... Now I am like hanging in the air, neither here nor there... Sometimes I wanna apply marketing positions but marketing is not what I majored in. Yet when I apply for HR positions, they mostly require certs with years of experiences. What should I do? Can I turn back the clock so that I could major in marketing instead and redo my majoring subjects??? How I wished!"

Then I asked him again "Ok... but isn't HR also an administrative job??"

He agreed and repeated "That's why you should take up this job to gain the HR experience you want and request for an internal transfer in the company later on."

And so I asked "Since you said that HR is also an administrative job, so why isn't my admin experience taken into consideration as a relevant experience to the HR position??"

He answered "Bcoz the company specified that they need someone with at least 1 year experience in HR and you do not possess this experience."

In my mind I was thinking "What is 1 year experience?? I have studied my degree course for 2 years loh... means I have been studying on HR topics for 2 years too!! Can't my these 2 years HR knowledge beat someone with only 1 year of experience??...... Arrgh!! These companies and recruitment consultants are just sooo inflexible!! Stupid people!!"

Just to test out how good the admin assistant job is, I asked him "What is included in the job scope of the admin assistant position? He then told me "It's bao gah liao! You sometimes need to help the company in the administering of its financial matters like handling accounts and payroll, sometimes in sales and marketing, and sometimes in HR and also in answering customer phonecalls. Basically, providing administrative assistance in all the aspects and any other admin duties assigned by the superior."

The "bao gah liao" word has already frightened me and this description of the job has already told me that it should be a small company with no divisional structure. If there's no departments, how can I request for an internal transfer????????? Feel like slapping the recruitment consultant!!

Ok, I went on to ask him "What is the salary range which the company is willing to offer?"

He then asked me " What is your expected?"

So I replied firmly with "$1800 as a fresh grad!"

"The company is willing to pay up to a maximum of $1500 for this position." said the recruitment consultant.

So I exclaimed "WHAT?? ONLY $1500??! DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD WANT A JOB THAT IS ONLY PAYING YOU $1500 IF YOU ARE A DEGREE HOLDER LIKE ME???"

The recruitment consulant then interrupted "Actually there are alot of people like you who think the same way as you, but soon they will realize that having a degree is nothing."

By then I was already very pissed off... I ignored what he said and insisted on asking him this question... "Ok... I mean if say that you are a fresh degree holder like me, do you think you would want to take up a job that is paying you at a salary rate similar to the rate offered to the diploma holders?? Do you??"

He finally had nothing to say but to stop persuading me to take up the admin assistant job and said that he would help me keep a lookout for other suitable jobs (which I doubt so!). Ahahahaa!!Dunno why but I just felt so contented with myself for questioning the recruitment consultant until he "bo wei kong"! I believe if he is in my shoes, he would also not want a job that is paying at a diploma holders' rate yet still need to "bao gah liao" lor!!

No comments: