Monday, February 20, 2006

I NEED A JOB!!!

Sigh... I'm just sooo... STRESS!!! Stressed by my mother's nagging!! I was actually staying at home during the whole weekend to send out job applications... Sent out approximately 11 applications in two days, carefully customising each and every cover letter and resume to suit the stated job requirements in each ad. I was like really glued onto my seat in front of the PC all day long on both Saturday and Sunday, all bcoz of The Straits Times that my mum bought on Saturday with one thick stack of Job Classified ads in it.

I am so damn stressed coz she kept nagging and hurrying me to get a job! She has been nagging eversince the end of my final examination until now. It is not that I don't wanna get a job, but that I can't get one... Furthermore, all along I've been submitting online applications through JobsDB. Recruitment firms have also been calling me up every now and then, but always offering me jobs which I do not want or jobs that pay lesser than my expected salary (or mayb I'm just too choosy!! Keke! =P). Anyway, who will understand? Only people who are looking for a job now will understand I guess... maybe graduates who are still unemployed from SIM - RMIT 30th intake BBBAFT will understand!!! Hahaa!! Coz we are all on the same boat... think most of us should be still trying to look for a job, some of us might still be feeling very lost and dunno what we want, some of us know what we want but are not wanted by the job market. Then there are also some who are rejected by the job market due to the competition with NUS, NTU and SMU graduates (*beep* these company!! hahaa!!)... but I guess most of us are not wanted due to the lack of relevant experience in the working field.

Well, my mum just doesn't understand a thing about the job market nowadays. She keeps telling me to accept any job offer that comes along. But I just couldn't anyhow accept any one job... bcoz if I don't have the interest in what I am doing, I will not do the job well. I used to see this sentence printed on a 37 degrees t-shirt saying something like that... "Work in a job you like and you will not have to work a day in your life". I AGREE! Hahaa!... Somemore, I think salary is another very important issue to me!! (Wat?! I got $$ face cannot meh??) Aiyah, no matter what, times are different now... it's not like 10 to 20 years back... suka suka just accept any job offer as long as the company pays you something, even if it is lesser than the market rate for your qualification status! NONONO!!!

Anyway, I really hope in the next few weeks I will get some responses from the companies I have sent my job applications to. By the way, something I have been expecting happened today... 2 companies which I have previously worked in called me up today!! One is Ananda Travel and the other is M1. Both companies have responded to my job applications! Hehee... so happy!

Weeks ago, I have applied for an Administrative Executive post in Ananda Travel and they called me up today to arrange for an interview on this coming Wednesday. As for M1, I applied for the position of Administrative Officer in the Customer Service Training Department. Apparently, a gal called me up from M1 and conducted a 15 mins interview with me over the phone (this is something that M1 likes to do! Bcoz before I became a CSO in M1 last time, they also called me up for phone interview twice before they shortlisted me for a face-to-face interview)! Although I was quite surprised and happy to receive the call but I was not very prepared to answer the questions.

The interview started with that gal asking me to tell her what I understood about this job. So I replied "I understand that this job requires me to provide administrative support to the training department such as to prepare the training materials for the trainers, schedule the time-table for the CSOs attending training courses and probably, to assign a mentor to the newly employed batch of CSOs undergoing training." At first I started off with some stammering, fortunately I was still able to give a satisfactory reply based on my past training experience when I was a CSO! Heng ah!!

She then said "Hmm... You seems to know quite abit about the job!! I see that you have written in your resume that you have worked in M1 before, is that why you know Adrian (Adrian is my former supervisor)?"

"Yes!" I told her.

Then she went on to ask me "You stated in the application that you have actually applied for other jobs in M1, what other jobs did you apply for?"

I told her that I previously applied for the Marketing Executive position but I didn't get any response from the HR. So she asked "But this administrative position is something very different from the marketing field, so why do you wanna apply for this job which is something so different?"

"It is bcoz I majored in Human Resource Management during my Degree course, so I was thinking that the training and development aspect is part of the HR function..." I said. (Sigh... think I shouldn't have gave that reply... I should have said that "Bcoz I have past working experience as a M1 Customer Service Officer, so I hope the knowledge and experience gained from there would be useful in this job.")

Then she sort of interrupted to say "Yes, training is a part of HR but as for this position, it is more of administrative than HR. Like what you have said earlier, this job requires the person to prepare the presentation materials, training schedules, prepare reports and so on... So do you think this is what you want to do?"

In order to get the job, of coz I said "Yes, it is something I would want to do."

The last question she asked was "What type of career aims do you want to achieve from this job?"

So I anyhow say... "As time goes by, I hope to take on more responsibilities and thus, with more responsibilities and experience, I hope to become a trainer myself." (Hahaa!! Bedey bedey one lah!!)

She then asked if I have any questions for her. So I said no. After all that questionings, she told me that if I am shortlisted for an interview, they will call me back in 2 weeks time. Then the call ended.

Overall, I'm not very satisfied with what I said, think I should have done better. I'm having that same after-feeling again... that same disappointed feeling as the last time when they called me for phone interview and I also felt that I didn't answer well after that. But actually, I think I answered the first and last question quite appropriately, just that the centre part was abit cocked up... and I stammered abit at the beginning. Sigh... I wonder if they will call me back in 2 weeks time. M1 is the company I want to work in! Hope they will call me back... Waiting.........

No comments: