Thursday, March 01, 2007

Opportunity Cost - Beautiful Nails Or Getting A Job??

Just went back to my manicurist today, thought of removing my extensions coz my blink nails deem to be inappropriate for attending job interviews...

Actually, I have intended to remove them on last Friday but my manicurist wasn't free then and would only be opening her shop today. Thus, I could only wait till today and went ahead to attend 2 job interviews on Monday.

When I went to the first interview, the interviewer was a guy and furthermore it is a company in the beauty industry, so although my nails caught the attention of the interviewer, he was alright with it... However, when I went to the second one at an apparel company, the female interviewer actually commented that my long nails reveals that I am very gu niang, like "shio jia" (rich people's daughter who does not/cannot do work)... so she said that this made her wonder if I can do rough jobs such as carrying stocks etc.

I did try to explain my situation of not removing my nails and even told her that they were only for CNY, she kept telling me that she is fine with it, just that it made her wonder. She also suggested that I remove them before the second round of interview, just in case if I am shortlisted. (But she actually gave me the feeling that she does not want any explanation...)

Well well, I really like the job in the apparel company and hope that I could be selected for the post. Thus, decided to remove my extensions, hoping that they will call me soon for the second interview... But when I went to my manicurist's shop today, my manicurist and all the customers there kept praising that my nails were so nice and asked why do I want to remove them???... Everyone kept saying that was such a pity to remove the crystals, especially when all the crystals were still intact and none of them dropped off... So when I told them that I need to attend job interviews, my manicurist then suggested that I keep my extensions but she will refill the acrylic in-fills near my cuticles and trim my extensions to a shorter length for me. That costs $35.


Therefore, I kept my extensions and did not paint on any coloured nail polish... She said to keep them as plain french extensions at this length would be professional enough... However, I find the length not here not there leh, abit weird... I still prefer them to be longer.

Another disappointment is that they look so bare now... no colour and no design on them... Sad... =( But at least they are still slightly longer than my real nails!

Since my extensions are still on and may still look long to most people, I am worrying that the interviewer would not accept it and thus influence her decision in selecting me for the job during the 2nd interview.

Then again, I am not even shortlisted for the second interview yet, probably they might not even select me to go for the second interview... If this is really so, DAMN IT!!! I shouldn't even have trimmed my extensions in the first place!

In any case, since I have already trimmed them and removed my crystals, really hope that I will get the job!!! Please please please!!! I am anxiously waiting for their call right here!!! Ya right... it's 12.30am now, how could they possibly be calling me at this time huh??? Duhh... Actually I mean that I am looking forward to hearing from them soonest lah... The interviewer said that she will let me know if I am shortlisted either tomorrow or on next Monday, so wish me luck!!! =D

No comments: