Friday, October 06, 2006

Deep In Shit...

Just when I thought life would be slightly more relax at work now since I am working with the shift team... Never did I expect that I would kenna another problematic case!! IT'S FUCKING IRRITATING LOR!!

This time it is a case whereby the customer told me to put a stop to his cheque from being cleared. Furthermore, that was my first time handling a 'stop payment' call. Well, I asked him what was the cheque number that he wanted to stop... He gave me a whole string of numbers that was printed on the bottom of his cheque. So I told him that the check number should not be so long, he then told me that he is not sure of the check number and asked me to check for him...

Thus I approached my supervisor, however she was on the line... so I went back to flipped my notes and found a cheque specimen. Printed on that specimen is a string of numbers which states 0-000237-7214-015-XXXXXXXXXX. And on top of these numbers, it printed 'cheque no.' above the 0-000237, 'bank code' above 7214, 'branch code' above 015 and 'account no.' above the last 10 digits (XXXXXXXXXX).

Me happily thinking that I found the answer to the customer's question, quickly compared the the numbers on the specimen to the numbers given to me by the customer which showed 0000517214011XXXXXXXXXX without the dashes. Not knowing that 7214 is the bank code and 011 is the branch code, I simply told the customer that the cheque no. was to drop the first 4 zeros in front and to take the next 3 digits (which is 517) as the cheque no.

So... I told the customer that the cheque number should be 517 and the customer stupidly took my words for it and went on to say that he wants to stop the cheque no. 517. I satisfyingly thought that I have learnt and handled something new once again after processing the stop payment procedures to stop the cheque. I even asked my supervisor to double confirm the steps of stopping a cheque with me.

Who knows... yesterday, my same supervisor came to me and said that she needs to talk to me. Before that, I already read her email and went into the customer's account to see what had happened. Apparently, the wrong cheque was stopped and the cheque that the customer requested me to stop was cleared!!! With an amount of S$9000!!! FUCK!!! This time, the customer called in again to make a complaint and he even told my supervisor that he told me to stop cheque no. 51, not 517!!!
Sorry for the bad language used here... I can't help but to scold KNNCCB!! BU KI NEH NEH KAO!! That was not what he told me previously lor!! If he had knew of the cheque no. right from the start, would he have asked me to check for him???! And why the hell did he provide me with the whole strings of numbers stated on the cheque at the beginning and not just tell me directly that the cheque no. is 51??!!

The dulan part is that my supervisor went to retrieve my call and listened to my conversation with the customer... I was asked why I did not check properly before providing informations to the customer. I then told her that I wanted to ask her initially but saw that she was on the phone thus I went to refer to my notes. And I also said that it was my first time handling a stop payment. She then said that all the more I should check and confirm things first. Well, what can I say?...

Anyway, I am in deep shit now... My supervisor told me that the cheque has been cleared and the money was actually credited into a stock trading firm's bank account. And the customer insisted for a refund of the $9000 from us. My supervisor then told me that she don't know where to find the money to return to the customer.

But later she then said that she has already called up the stock trading firm and begged them to return the money to us so that we could return it to the customer. She used the word 'begged' which made me feel bad... Luckily the company has already issued us a cheque post-dated on 11 October... Thus, my supervisor told me that we should really pray hard that the cheque can be cleared on 11 October... If not, our bank would have to bear the loss of $9000 by issuing a cheque from our profit and loss account to the customer. The thing that I am worried here is that my director would need to initial on the cheque, which means that he will then know of my carelessness which caused the bank to lose money... =(

Well, yesterday I was quite lonely at work without Charmaine... Went for dinner with Zac and then again, she also told me not to quit my job yet. She said that work will be more fun once I get to know and mix well with the other shifters. Sigh... As usual, I am always the less sociable one so I just sat quietly at my workstation to answer calls last night. My night was slow and boring yesterday, despite people around me like Jennifer, Evelyn, Debbie, Leonard and Viv were joking away. Felt like a total stranger out of their circle of trust. I really cannot imagine how I am going to past my time during my night shift from 11pm to 8.30am, working with only the 2 guys that I don't really know.

Think I thought too much till I am having headache now!! Plus the noises coming from the renovation works in my house everyday always woke me up from my sleep at 8plus each morning... Hate it!!! Guessed it has been too many nights without sufficient sleep that made me so tired. Yes! I am on MC again... Who cares now?? I just learnt that my other colleagues from my batch have already taken 5-6 times of MC so far, while I have only been on MC twice... and if taking into consideration this time would make it thrice only!! Hahaa!! =P

No comments: