Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Take It or Leave It???

Well well well... it's back to the same problem again. I'm once again stuck in a dilemma on whether to take up the job offer or not... but for this time round, it is an offer for a permanent job for the post of Customer Relation Officer in Canon.

Seems like I've got more luck to get the job when I do not disclose its interviewing process here. Kekeke... Nah, probably it was just coincidence. Anyway, I was called to go for a 2nd interview yesterday... and they actually wanted to offer me the job on the spot after a role-play test. (Hmmm... I wonder if there was anything wrong with the position since they are so keen and in a hurry to hire me... Probably they have difficulties in filling up that position, so they wanted to fill me in as soon as possible??)

This position actually requires the person to travel around to their corporate customers' companies to demostrate on how to use their Canon copier machines. So it is a 90% outdoor and 10% indoor job. Indoor job meaning having to stay in the office for about 4 to 5 times a month to do the administrative work.

During my 1st interview, the interviewer told me that the package which they could offer me would only be $1400 for the basic plus $350 for transport allowance. In addition, there will be variable commission if I am able to sell their other Canon products such as their copier paper, cartridges, etc. although there is no sales target. However, she told me that there will not be any career advancement in this department unless she herself leaves the company. But there are always opportunities to request for transfer to another department.

Ok, back to the 2nd interview... I was abit taken aback when they told me about the role-play as they wanted me to try and sell a crystal trophy (which was placed on one of the side table in the conference room) to one of the interviewers (who is the sales trainer). Luckily my nervousness did not show (this is so soo sooo rare, I think if this was held in a lecture room.. I would have stammered all the way). Anyway, I was also very surprised that I could do it so naturally. But probably it's bcoz there were only 3 of us in the room then and the interviewer was also quite lenient.

After the role-play, the 2 interviewers left the room for awhile to discuss and came back asking me if they were to offer me the position on the spot, do I still need to consider about it? So I said yes. Then they asked me how much time do I need to consider about it and what are the concerns that are pulling me back from accepting the offer? So I told them that I needed about 2 days to consider and that my main concern would be the salary followed by my interest for the job and the job advancement.

That sales trainer then slowly helped me to solve my concerns one-by-one by explaining the benefits and advantages of this Canon position, comparing these benefits to the other jobs which I have applied for. They kept telling me that I could gain alot more exposure in meeting people from their corporate customers and could also help me in building up my network although they could only offer me a basic salary of $1400. Well well... blah blah blah... and in the end they asked if I could give them a reply immediately after saying so much. Of coz.... not! Hahaa... I still told them that I needed some time to think about it.

After that, they then asked if I have any questions for them. And I said no (as I wanted to leave the room quickly coz I hate to be pressed to give an answer immediately!!). Very well, so they told me that they hope to hear from me soon and offered to send me out to the entrance.

Then for the whole day, I was thinking about the job offer until I had a serious headache at night... I dunno why this always happens!! Seems that I always like to think alot and stress myself whenever I have got a job offer... Anyway, I went to bed early last night due to my headache...

When I woke up today, Dear called me to ask about my headache and also my decision for the job offer. I seriously dunno whether I should take the job or not. While we were still talking on the phone, a second line came in... the phone number was from Canon. And I missed it on purpose.

After I hung up the phone with Dear, I returned the call to Canon and the lady who interviewed me yesterday answered the phone. She then asked what is my decision. So I told her that I am still undecided as I think the salary is holding me back. She then told me that she can try to negotiate with their HR Department to increase the basic pay by $100 to make it to $1500. So I asked if she could increase it to $1600 instead, she then said that she can't as she is already stretching it and that all her girls who have worked there for more than 5 years are getting even lesser than $1400. Thus, she hopes that I could give her my decision immediately so that she could ask their HR Department to prepare my appointment letter. She even said that she would like me to start work on this Thursday (1 June). I still think $1500 is not up to my expectation... so I told her that I needed more time to think about it. She then reluctantly agreed to give me another 2 hours to think about it.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock... ... ...

Very soon, it was 4pm... time to call the lady back to tell her my decision. But I still have not make up my mind. For a minute, I think I should take the job as I think this is the only permanent job offer I have gotten so far... and for the next minute, I think I shouldn't bcoz I think the pay is low... After that, I was worried that I would regret it if I don't take up the job as my mother might make noise about me not working... Then for the next moment, I'm afriad that I might not be able to earn enough commission from sales which leads me to earn only $1200 per month after CPF deduction... Then it went on and on and on... until it was already 5.30pm, which is Canon's knock off time. Hahaa... So irresponsible of me for not calling that lady back right!! But I really dunno whether to take the job or not mah...

Well, I think I will give her a call tomorrow to tell her my decision... Meanwhile I smsed Hui'e and asked her about her opinion of working in Canon since she is now working there as a temp. She replied and told me that her friend who used to work in the Customer Relation Department said that the employees there are quite superficial and that Canon always offer a very low basic salary. Hence, she doesn't want to work there as a permanent staff as well. She also said that the basic salary of $1500 is abit low for a degree holder.

After much consideration, I have decided to turn down the offer.

No comments: