Friday, March 21, 2008

My Poor Little Hamster...


One of my hamsters (named Rafa) has been sick for 2 weeks! I feel so poor thing for her. I do not know why this will happen all of a sudden... Probably bcoz my hamsters are getting old... they are near to 2 years old now.

I did not realize that she is sick bcoz coincidently I was also down with cold and fever 2 weeks ago so I did not dare to go near the hamsters just in case I passed my viruses to them. In fact, 1 week before my fever, I had an eye infection due to the wearing of contact lenses. Then I heard my mother telling my brother that one of our hamsters looks restless and no longer as active as before... When I went to see her, she has shrunk alot in size... She has become so small and thin that we could see an obvious hump on her back. One side of her eyes was swollen... It looked very weak. We even noticed that she ate and drank lesser than normal and the shit looks greyish instead of the normal black colour.

Last Friday, when I went to look at her again, her right eye has pus dried up and was stuck together... it cannot be opened. I felt very worried!! So worried that tears came flowing after I looked at her... I am very scared that my hamsters will be gone soon due to old age especially the sick one. I felt so helpless, furthermore till now I still dare not touch them. Yah... I know it's weird!! A hamster owner who dare not touch her hamsters!! Aiyah... that's bcoz my brother and mother are the ones taking care of them... I just talk to them and replenishes their food for them. Kekeke... =P

Although I am not the one taking care of them, I still love them coz they are soooooooo cute!!!

We have thought of bringing my sick hamster to the Mount Pleasant vet near our house but my brother wasn't in Singapore last week... so we waited till today... Looking at my poor little hamster suffering makes our hearts pain... Now, a small area below my hamster's right ear has become bald and red. I always see her scratching her right eye and the area below the ear. It looks like an eye infection. As it's a public holiday today, most vets are closed... However, I really hope that something can be done to help my hamster. I checked on the net and found a vet open today. So we brought her to that vet just now.

I am starting to wonder other than the eyedrop and antibiotic given by the vet, has the vet really helped my hamster?... Coz the vet does not seem to know what causes my hamster to become like this. He said it is due to the bathing sand going into my hamster's eye and it has got stucked in her third eyelid. How true? I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. As for the redness below the ear area... he said maybe my hamster has knocked onto some metal parts... but my hamsters are kept in glass tanks and all toys are made of plastics! There's no metal parts in the tank. How can that be?? This time... I have a little bit of doubt!

Anyway, the vet treated my hamster by cleaning her right eye but he said the sand is too small to be removed... so we have to treat it with eyedrops for 10 days. And for the bald area below the ear, he checked by feeling it. He said there's a pimple and started removing it from the ear... After taking out the particles from my hamster's ear, he said the pimple was the dried up pus. He then continued to squeeze out pus from my hamster's ear while my brother held her in his hands. My hamster made the squeeking noise several times whenever the vet touches the painful area. After that, the vet then fed my hamster a drop of antibiotic from a syringe. That is the medication for us to feed it once a day. After that, that's it. Just like that, the consultation fee costs $35 and medication costs $65. That costs us $100 in total! After that my hamster's eye became even more swollen than before and the removing of the pus made the wound looks abit scary.

Despite the high expense, we all felt better for our hamster. I really really hope her eye and ear area will recover soon. But when I went to take a look at her just now, there's still pus on her right eye. Actually I am still worried and think she is so ke lian... so poor thing. But it needs time for healing, I want her to become back to normal again. I hope the medications really helps.

No comments: